Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Senior Night my @$$

I turned to ESPN a few minutes ago to watch some college basketball.  On the ticker on the bottom of the screen I saw the KU in blue but only caught the tail end of the headline, "the Kansas City Star reports."  So I went to the Star's website to check it out and see what was up.  I was not surprised to see that coach Bill Self has reinstated point guard Tyshawn Taylor.  He was suspended indefinately a few games ago for "team violations."  I read on further to find out that he, nor his replacement, Elijah Johnson will start tonight.  Senior Mario Little will start in his final home game at Allen Fieldhouse.  I think most of you know where I'm going with this.  For those that don't, I'm referring to my blog about violence in sports.
My personal opinion on the subject is, "on the fence."  While I don't agree with it, and in a perfect world all the athletes would be perfect role models, we don't live in a perfect world.  I don't agree with the fact that these people should be role models for our young kids.  Charles Barkley said when he was playing that he did not want to be a role model, and shouldn't.  While in principle, I agree with him, he doesn't have a choice in the matter.  My role model is my father.  But there are many kids that choose to look up to stars or athletes.  Ben Roethlisberger is probably a role model to a young Pittsburgh kid that has aspirations of playing in the NFL.  Whether we like it or not, stars like Kanye West, Charlie Sheen, Ben Roethlisberger, Chad Johnson (Ochocinco) are role models to young kids.  The reality is, these people do this and get away with it.  They are given a slap on the wrist, and elevated right back to that star status.  How many times has Charlie Sheen been in this situation.  This is not a perfect world.  We, myself included, are all responsible for this.  "Senior Night" in college basketball is a big tradition.  Just like "Parents Night" in high school, I think every coach should start their seniors, reguardless of their talent or status.  I remember watching KU in my younger years, and the "walk-on's" were the favorite guys on the team.  Allen Fieldhouse erupted when these guys came on the floor.  These guys deserve to be honored more than the 4 year starters do.  These guys have had a harder road to this night than the stars that will be honored.  These guys put in all the sweat and hard work and get nothing for it.  Most of them don't even get a scholarship for their hard work.  I don't know much about Connor Teahan, but he would be more of a role model for me than Mario Little or Tyshawn Taylor.  I don't know his scholarship status either, but I bet he works just as hard, if not harder than anyone on that team.  Senior Night should be about honoring ALL your seniors, not just the ones that have played.  Bill Self is a top coach.  His resume is very impressive everywhere he's been.  Granted he's taken over good programs.  He hasn't had to "build" a program, but he has sustained them.  He took over for Lon Kruger at Illinois, and Roy Williams at Kansas.  But in both cases he maintained, if not improved both programs.  His national championship at Kansas was with his own players, including one that SHOULD have been ineligible.  He is loved in Lawrence.  He made the best of a nasty situation, embraced it and never looked back.  Just how he handled that situation was impressive in it's own right.  He made a few minor changes, but was careful not to change KU tradition.  We have seen a few other instances in the Big XII alone where coaches without "school ties" are brought in, made too many changes and didn't last.  I am referring to Nebraska hiring Bill Calahan, and K-State hiring Ron Prince.  Both were fired and their replacements both had "school ties" and have already improved in just a few seasons.  I will be honest and say that I figured Bill Self would suffer the same fate.  His coaching style was completely different.  When Roy Williams resigned, I hoped that KU would hire Mark Turgeon, a young up and coming coach with KU ties.  I would probably be a KU fan if they had.  But they chose to go with Bill Self, and looking back, made a good decision.  I have not been a Bill Self fan from the beginning, and his decision yesterday didn't help matters any.  His starting lineup tonight against Texas A&M will consist of Mario Little, Tyrell Reed, Brady Morningstar, and the Morris twins.  Senior Connor Teahan gets honored for his contribution to Kansas basketball by starting on the bench while Mario Little, who was suspended earlier in the season for beating on a woman gets to start.  He deserves to hear his name called in the starting lineup.  That is the least they can do for his dedication to Kansas basketball.  It's not like he has to play the full game.  Hell, call a timeout right away.  I'm sure just hearing his name called as a starter, and being on the floor for the opening tip would mean the world to this kid, and make all that sweat and hard work worth it.  What little respect I had for Bill Self is gone now.  He showed that he is no different than anyone else.  This just proves how little violence in sports is taken seriously.  We just slap them on the wrist, then honor them.
After Kansas State beat Texas the other night, I hoped that Kansas would win out, helping K-State with seeding in the conference tournament.  After reading this, I will be the biggest A&M and Missouri fans in the country the next two games.  Yes, KU will probably win both, but will not have my support.  And I don't EVER want to be lectured on this subject by a Kansas and Bill Self fan.   GIG EM AGGIES!!

1 comment:

  1. The first words of the commentator just made my point. "Finality hits home for 3 jayhawk seniors." ESPN featured 3 Jayhawk Seniors. Isn't their 4???

    ReplyDelete