Saturday, January 29, 2011

Impartial is impossible

I am going to start off by saying that Kansas is one of the best teams in the country.  But they are not the best.  Technically speaking, they aren't even the best team in the Big 12.  Texas is 5-0 in conference play and at this moment up on Missouri 10-0.  Beating up on K-State does not prove anything.  They are #11 in the conference standings.  K-State looked absolutely awful tonight.  They had nothing on their side.  When you have the ball go completely through the hoop and come back out, that's just a bad night.  I thought once the ball went through the rim it was counted as a shot, but maybe I'm wrong.  Kansas did everything right tonight.  As I said earlier in the week the Ohio State/Purdue game was a preview.  This game was VERY similar to that one.  Kansas shot lights out, and K-State could even make layups.  I must give respect for one person.  Thomas Robinson.  To say his last month was rough would be a drastic understatement.  He had an amazing game.  His effort was inspiring. 
I'm tired of hearing that I'm supposed to be impartial.  Dick Vitale, probably america's favorite play by play man did exactly as I predicted he would.  He started the broadcast by bragging about Kansas, and then going into the disappointment of K-State.  He NEVER said a bad thing about Kansas all night, and NEVER said a positive thing about K-State.  Yes, I realize K-State definately did not help their cause tonight, and there weren't many good things to say about them.  Shannon  Sharpe is another example.  He never says a bad thing about Denver or Baltimore.  Denver could go into a game 0-10 against a 8-2 KC team and he would still pick Denver to win.  Vitale is the same way about North Carolina and Duke.   People in those positions are supposed to be impartial.  So if they don't have to be then why should I be??  I'm just a blogger, with a few reads a day, not being watched by millions of people.  My feelings about KU are no secret.  Too say I hate them would be an understatement.  I could go on and on with reasons I don't like them.  I won't do that.  But what I will say is that what I am saying tonight is not because I despise them.  If that were the case I wouldn't be saying they are top 5 team.  It's not a matter of being impartial, it's a matter of stepping back and looking at BOTH sides of the arguement.  KU fan is just like Dick Vitale, not looking at the near misses and close calls and giving their team a pass to the conference and tournament championship.  They are putting their team #1 despite the fact that their are better teams out there.  No one is impartial.  I don't care who you are, no one can be completely objective because it's all a matter of perspective.  When facts are stated it makes you sound partial, when you are merely stating facts.  I don't want to hear about the past.  I'm not talking about the past.  Bill Self's resume at Kansas is impressive, yes.  I am talking about THIS season and this season alone.  That's all that matters.  Winning the national championship a few years ago has just as much affect on this season as loosing to Northern Iowa last season.  None whatsoever. 
I'm not trying to say that Kansas isn't a good team.  Nothing would make me happier than to see them fall flat on their face.  But they won't.  Because they are a good team.  They will move up to #3 in the rankings on Monday.  But as has been the case in the past, they have had too many close calls and they somehow seem to squeak by.  They've had close calls against UCLA, USC, overtime against Michigan, Nebraska, and most recently Colorado.  They've done what's needed to win those games, yes.  But it will catch up with them.  As it always does it will catch up with them in the tournament.  There are too many good teams out there that will take advantage of KU's mistakes.  This is the first I have watched them play this season, and they did not show me much.  They played the #11 team in the conference.  K-State is bad right now.  Ok, bad is an understatement.  Beating them does not show me anything.  Right now they (KU) are the #2 team in the conference.  I find it funny the sports writers had Kansas ranked #6 and Texas ranked #7 after Texas just mopped the floor with Kansas IN LAWRENCE.  If they want to prove they are the best they need to beat Texas A&M and Missouri BOTH times.  They need to beat teams like Nebraska, Colorado, and Iowa State by more than just a few points.  They will probably end up winning the Big 12.  They will be ranked #1 at least one more time before the end of the season.  But as usual, they will end their season with disappointment unless the figure out how to put these lower teams away.  The Big 12, Big 10, and the Big East are very deep.  Syracuse and Georgetown are #8 and #10 in the Big East.  Michigan State is #7 in the Big 10.  A team like Georgetown, Penn State, or Syracuse isn't going to let them off so easy.
Kansas is a good team.  They will be ranked #3 on Monday.  And they deserve that ranking.  But I just haven't seen anything that makes me believe they are a Final 4 team.  Ohio State, Duke, Kansas, Texas, and Pittsburgh will round out the top five, in that order.  I will be surprised if there are more than 1 of those teams in the Final 4.  But, KU loves to prove me wrong, and they probably will. 

1 comment:

  1. 1.If KU did not show you anything on Saturday I have no Idea what you are looking for. You just said in your blog KU needs to beat the crappy teams by a larger margin and they did Saturday. Yes they do have close wins but good teams find a way to win and they have. Not only that, teams lose they could have lost those games, but they did not. 2. Texas did not "mop the floor" with KU. KU was up by 15 at the half. In order to "mop the floor" with someone it has to be an entire game domination. KU forgot to show up in the second half. That is why Texas won. If you don't watch the games don't make comments based on the final score.

    ReplyDelete