Sunday, April 17, 2011

Finally, the real fun begins...

This is the time of year I've been waiting for.  For those that know me, know of my passion for baseball.  As far as I'm concerned, it's the best sport.  Everyone has their preference, some like basketball or football better, and I respect that.  But for me, it's baseball.  Opening day is like a holiday for me.  There is nothing I love more than to go to a game.  It's something that I love, and as many times as I've been, everytime is like my first time.  I've been to see the Royals play in Kauffman Stadium many times.  The first game I ever saw was the Royals V White Sox.  Over the years I've seen the Royals play the Chicago White Sox, Oakland A's, New York Yankees, Anaheim Angels, and most recently the Minnesota Twins.  I saw an extra inning game last season at the NEW "K".  They have made some pretty impressive improvements and I urge you all to check them out if you have the opportunity.  I've also had the opportunity to see the San Francisco Giants take on the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field in Denver.
But none of that would even compare to what I got to experience a few weeks ago.  Opening Day is like a holiday for me.  Its always been a dream of mine to see an opening day game in person.  I figured that many years down the road I might get to, and probably at Kauffman Stadium.  I never imagined the opportunity I would be presented with this spring.  I got the opportunity of a lifetime for me, to see that Florida Marlins host the New York Mets at Sun Life Stadium in Miami.  Sun Life Stadium has had many names over the years, but has been the home of the Marlins since their inception in 1993.  When Joe Robbie built the stadium for the Dolphins he figured it was inevitable that Miami would get a baseball team, so he ensured it would be able to host baseball games as well.  The stadium is also the home for the Miami Dolphins, Miami Hurricanes, as well as the Orange Bowl game.  It is an excellent venue for football.  It doesn't have the ora of Wrigley Field or Fenway Park, but it was kind of humbling to think of all the history in that Stadium.  Some of college and professional football greats have played in that stadium.  The Ring of Honor speaks for itself, boasting names like Don Shula, Dan Marino, and other greats in Dolphin history.  Robbie's intentions were good, making it able to host baseball games as well, but I would find out later that it's not perfect for baseball.  The Marlins have been trying to get a new, baseball-only stadium for years, and after many years of lawsuits and injunctions, they finally got approved for a stadium on the site of the old Orange Bowl Stadium.  The Marlins will move into their new home next season.  They will also change from Florida, to the Miami Marlins.  So, this would be the final Opening Day game at Sun Life Stadium for the Marlins.
They started the night by honoring one of the greats in Florida Marlins history, Mike Lowell.  The National Anthem was different from what you would expect.  Clarence Clemons was the saxophone player in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.  When they brought him out, I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.  I've heard instrumental versions of the National Anthem before, but nothing like this.  To say that it was amazing and gave me goosebumps would be an understatement.  It was definately in the top 10 I've ever heard, and you all know how critical I am of the national anthem.  Then to top that off, they had fighter jets from Homestead FL do a flyover.  I've seen flyovers on TV before, but never experienced one it person.  TV doesn't do it justice.  I can't put into words, the feeling I got as the jets flew over.  Then came the first pitch.  As part of the pregame ceremony to honor Mike Lowell, the had Lowell throw out the first pitch to Mr. Marlin, Jeff Conine.  Then came the starting lineups.  Most regular season games they kinda fast forward through some of the pre game festivities.  It was nice to see them do it all, and do it right.  The game featured the "Ace's" of the respective teams, Mike Pelphrey for the Mets, and Josh Johnson for the Marlins.  And most of the game was a pitching battle.  But the highlight of the night came in the fourth inning as, former Royal, John Buck hit a grand slam to right center field.  Josh Johnson had a no hitter going until the top of the 7th inning.  Later in the game Buck came a few feet from another homerun, hitting one off the boards in left center field.  Logan Morrison finished the scoring with a homerun to the same spot as Buck's grand slam.  It was pretty awesome to see a grand slam, in person.  Also pretty awesome it was by a formal Royal.  The biggest adjustment for me in that game was the massive turnout.  I'm used to going to Kauffman Stadium where you can buy a ticket behind the dugout the night of the game, and have plenty of room.  Needless to say, it was a full house, as one might expect on Opening Day.  The Marlins definately did justice to the final Opening Day game in Sun Life Stadium's great history.  To finish off the night, they had a maginificent fireworks display.  We almost didn't stay for it, and I'm glad we did.  Also one of the best I've ever seen.  My only complaint from the game was the view of the feild.  Our seats were along the 1st base side behind the dugout.  I never thought about the angle of the seats in a stadium until that night.  The newer stadiums have the seats angled slightly toward home plate.  It's kind of hard to explain in a blog, but the seats faced center field, instead of left center.  The person next to me would lean forward a little, so I had to lean forward more to see.  It was a minor inconvenience, that you would expect anyway when a crowd actually turns out to support their team.  Overall it was an amazing experience that I will never forget.  It was an awesome way to kick off a new season of baseball.  

No comments:

Post a Comment